electrical safety certificate

Average: 4 (2 votes)

Owners need health and safety checks to ensure that all basic concepts meet certain standards; with respect to electricity, this means the acquisition of an electrical safety certificate.

The Electrical Safety Council is the governing body that draws up the necessary guidelines. It also publishes helpful documents, such as the Landlord's Guide to Electrical Safety. When applying guidelines and obtaining an electrical safety certificate, this is proof to tenants that all electricity on a property has a good standard and can be used safely when moving out. The certificate is a condition of the law and, at the request of the authorities, the lessor must be able to present the documents within seven days. Regular power control is recommended, but only a legal requirement on some properties.

electrics: switches

Plugs and appliances

When evaluating a landlord's electrical safety certificate, a distinction is made between fixed installations - wiring, switches, plugs, lights - and appliances, including TVs, refrigerators and torsetes. All equipment provided by the landlord must be included in these controls to ensure that they work and that there is no risk of injury. They must also bear at least one CE mark: the manufacturer's claim that it complies with EU rules.

If the property is an HMO (House in Multiple Occupancy) - which means that the apartments are not completely closed, with tenants sharing facilities (bathroom, kitchen) - then there is a legal requirement for regular inspection every five years.

There is no legal obligation for other buildings, although it is recommended that inspections be carried out independently. The Institute of Electrical Engineers also proposes to conduct a test when long-term occupations are completed.

You must ensure that you receive and keep documentation of all completed electrical installation work, as well as regular inspections and inspections. All certificates and reports must include test plans and test results. The type of certification or report you receive depends on the scope and type of electrical installation work or the inspections and tests you have performed.

Adding or removing power

As an owner, you can make changes to your property's electricity from time to time, perhaps update the power outlets or add additional lights. Under government electrical safety standards introduced in 2005, all of these works must comply with construction regulations - a number of legal requirements.

Part P of the Construction Code describes the requirements for electrical work, which states that they must be pre-informed to their local authority or carried out by an approved electrician. Applies to all electrical changes, including wiring. It is your responsibility to prove that all power plants you own comply with Part P - a new electrical safety certificate could be issued once the work is completed, or a small work certificate if considered a small task.

What is a status report for electrical installations?

A report on the status of the electrical installation gives you and your tenants the assurance that electrical appliances (including accessories, plugs, switches and cables) on your property are functioning properly and do not pose a high risk of fire. The Electrical Installation Status Report also contains information about the work required to maintain a property to the required standard, identify electrical installations that do not comply with iET wiring regulations, and check some of the electricity in a home that carries a risk of high temperatures or electric shocks.


The Electrical Safety Council recommends that reports on the conditions of electrical installations be prepared at least every ten years, which means that the new legal requirement now imposed on homeowners is even more preventive than professional advice accepted by the standard.

Your electrician will test the following for the electrical installation status report:

  • Fuse or consumption unit
  • Switches, sockets and accessories, including accessories (an example section of which)
  • Installationspolarit-tspr-fungen
  • Test protective devices to make sure they're still working

Electrical certification for new installations, modifications or additions

Electrical Installation Certificates (CI) and Minor Electrical Installation Certificates (MEIWC) give you an explanation, as responsible for the safety of an electrical system, that the new system or modification or addition can be used safely at the time of commissioning. Outstanding certificates also provide a basis for additional inspections and testing, as they can help save on costly exploratory work that would otherwise be needed in the future. In addition, in case of reports of injury or fire by an electrical system, the certificates are documentary evidence that the installation has been installed with a satisfactory level of safety.

The EIC indicates whether electrical work is the key:

  • New: where the entire installation was reinstalled, so that a complete wiring was performed.
  • Added: Applies if an existing installation has been modified by adding one or more new circuits.
  • Change: Applies if one or more existing circuits have been modified or extended (for example, to add a plug), or when items such as a consumption unit (fuse) and switching equipment have been replaced.

An EIC must be issued for all new electrical installations. It may also be necessary for a modification or addition of the installation - depending on whether a new circuit has been installed or not. If a change or addition is made but does not contain a new circuit, a MEIWC or EIC can be used.

Owner's electrical safety

In addition to your certificate, there are other precautions you can take regarding electrical safety. During each inspection, make sure that all plugs, sockets and switches are intact and that all visible cables and cables remain in good condition.

When inspecting during the rental, you can check that the plugs are not overloaded. Also ask your tenants if everything works well; check that you had no problems with the bulbs blowing or spark plugs, tripping over the fuse box.

Need more help?

If you are looking for more information request a free callback off of one of our specialists!