Single Storey Extension

Average: 2.5 (2 votes)
single storey extension: construction workers planning

A single story extension can add considerable value to your property.

It offers space and if done correctly, can bring significant daylight in your house. Single story extension takes place in three different ways. They are rare, side and wrapped single story extensions. You need permission for various extensions, especially if it is a complicated one. To Seek planning, you need to submit a planning application to your local council. A common misunderstanding that all types of extensions to property need planning permission. Many people are not aware that you have permitted development and non permitted development. Many single-story extensions fit within the category of permitted development.

This article looks at a side single story extension as permitted development. Permitted development does not need an application for planning. It is the case when you meet certain limits and conditions, also called allowances. The article only comments on the permitted development allowances for a house. It does not cover scenarios related to a flat, maisonettes or other buildings.

You cannot have a side extension on designated land. Designated land covers Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, World Heritage Sites, national parks and the Broads and conservation areas. The side extension should also be no more than 50% of the entire land around the original house. This includes sheds and should not be more than a single story. Its width should not be greater than half the width of the original house. It also applies to the height, which should not be more than 4m or higher than the existing home. It should use similar materials on interiors, the same as on the rest of the house.  It is worth noting that there are different rules around height and width. To determine that boundaries play a significant part where an extension may take place. An excellent example in this regard is of a house within 2m of a boundary then the height cannot be more than 3m. In this case, you may need to consult planning permission by applying.

The rules, as mentioned above, provide basic guidelines for the permitted development allowances. The local government website provides relevant documents, detailed regulations and guidelines. It is essential that you refer to these documents before proceeding on work. You should also seek expert advice from an architect and developer. The experts can identify extraordinary elements related to your extension. They can make significant changes to support you during the process. They will make sure that you adhere to all required building regulations. It would help if you also referred to the documents by RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects). These documents will explain in further details that what you can and can not do. They should help you to understand the permitted allowances. They will also highlight interferences to the boundaries of a house. To make sure you are not in a breach, you can even speak to the local planning officer. You can refer to pre-application stages, so you don’t step outside of permitted rules.

Need more help?

If you are looking for more information request a free callback off of one of our specialists!