Self employed, claiming loss of earnings form insurer.

Archie Williams

Hi all.
Ill try to keep it short.
I am self-employed. A few months ago I was involved in a road traffic incident where the other party accepted total responsibility in writing. During the following days I was unable to work, however subcontracted the work which could be, again I have this in writing.
The third parties insurer say they will pay for the additional loss of earnings however, they have asked for the full previous years earnings and will average it out based on that, which I don’t think is fair as last year I had equipment expenses which are no longer applicable, also there was periods where I could not work due to personal issues again this should not be included. The insurance company should be basing the loss of earning on what a working day would have been not an average including none working days.
Am I entitled to the correct amount of pay?


Other discussions

Andy Timms
Real Estate, General, Advertising, Marketing & PR

Using websites like Checkatrade or Book a Builder for B2B?
Has anybody experience of using such website for B2B or commercial work. I feel as through they are more geared towards consumers, household, or general handymen workers.
I have a property development company and not sure if it is worth looking for customers on these websites.

Daniel Reeves
Landlords, Real estate investors, Technology

Will we ever see a point in time when more people are working from home?
Given the circumstances its difficult to see a point where as many people will be working from home as they are currently.
There’s plenty of sources saying working that they are impressed by the results and found working from home more beneficial than previously thought.

Clive Smith
General, Entrepreneurs, Family business owners

Hi I am a sole trader running two separate businesses.

Combined they have a turnover of over £80,000.

Do I have to be VAT registered or can I register one of them as LTD company and run the other as a sole trader and treat them as two separate entities?